Template:H:h This Editing Overview has a lot of wikitext examples. You may want to keep this page open in a separate browser window for reference while you edit. Each of the topics covered here is covered somewhere else in more detail. See box at right for that.
Editing basics Edit
- Start editing
- To start editing a page, click the Edit this page (or just edit) link at one of its edges. This brings you to the edit page: a page with a text box containing the editable source code from which the server produces the webpage. If you just want to experiment, please do so in the sandbox, not here.
- Type your changes
- You can just type your text. However, also using basic wiki markup (described in the next section) to make links and do simple formatting adds to the value of your contribution.
- Summarize your changes
- Write a short summary in the small field below the edit-box. You may use shorthand to describe your changes.
- Preview before saving
- When you have finished, click preview to see how your changes will look -- before you make them permanent. Repeat the edit/preview process until you are satisfied, then click Save page and your changes will be immediately applied to the article.
Minor edits Edit
A logged-in user can mark an edit as "minor". Minor edits are generally spelling corrections, formatting, and minor rearrangement of text. Users may choose to hide minor edits when viewing Recent Changes.
Marking a significant change as a minor edit is considered bad Wikiquette. If you have accidentally marked an edit as minor, make a dummy edit, verify that the "[ ] This is a minor edit" check-box is unchecked, and explain in the edit summary that the previous edit was not minor.
- Help:Editing FAQ
- Help:Automatic conversion of wikitext
- Help:Editing toolbar
- Help:HTML in wikitext
- Protecting pages
- Help:Reference card - a one-page summary of important commands, to be printed out and used next to the computer
- Help:Starting a new page
- UseModWiki and Wikipedia:PHP script.
- HTML elements.
- Live preview - a way to preview your edits without contacting the server.
- Template:Tim - font size
- Template:Tim - color